30th Annual City Sidewalks and Fox15 Christmas Parade
- Abilene, TX 79601
- 325-676-2556, Abilene CVB
- Monday, November 26, 2018-Saturday, December 1, 2018
- City Sidewalks: 5 - 8 p.m.
Parade: 6:30 p.m.
Tree lighting: 7:30 p.m.
You’ll feel at home for the holidays when you discover the charm of Christmas in downtown Abilene in the 30th Annual City Sidewalks celebration. Merchants, museums and galleries will open their decorated doors for a full week of holiday cheer, fun activities and shopping. Highlights include a parade of lights, lighting of a 47-foot Christmas tree, musical performances and free goodies. Organized through the dynamic teamwork of the Abilene Downtown Association. Download the City Sidewalks Brochure Here for a full schedule of events and extra information!
- Monday, 11/26—Holiday Style: decorating and lighting Christmas decorations in downtown parks, including the nation’s largest artificial Christmas tree and WesTex Connect Fireworks Christmas Show at 6 p.m. at the Abilene Convention Center.
- 6 p.m. Ceremonial flipping of the switch for Downtown Association’s kick off to Downtown Shopping Days
- Festive Christmas Sweater Day
- People’s Choice Holiday Decorating Competition with votes tallied for three categories: best display window, best decorated window, and best holiday lighting
- Tuesday, 11/27—The Main Event and Giving Tuesday, all day
- 5:30 p.m. Holiday musical performances
- 6:30 p.m. Lighted Christmas Parade
- 7:30 p.m. Lighting of an indoor tree at the Abilene Convention Center
- Wednesday, 11/28—Sidewalk Caroling: Choirs of all descriptions fill the sidewalks with the music of the season at 6 p.m. Vocal groups, musicians, and hand bell choirs are all invited
- At 6:30 p.m. Abilene will try for a Guinness World Record for the most choirs singing a Christmas carol at the same time downtown.
- Thursday, 11/29— The Art of Christmas-: make, admire, purchase art for gift giving; all galleries and museums open late and free admission
- Center for Contemporary Arts – 220 Cypress: Open late until 7 p.m. Fresh greens and wreath-making demonstrations and sales, in addition to all galleries and member artists art for sale
- Carols and Ale at Cypress Street Station, 6-7 p.m., Come get into Holiday Spirit and Enjoy $3 Craft Beers while we sing Christmas Carols
- Guided tour of holiday storefronts with “Gus McDusty,” the cowboy poet of the Downtown Abilene Walking Tours.
- Friday,11/30—Feels Like Christmas Shopping:
- Christmas in the Garden - A Polar Express event in the Adamson-Spalding Storybook Garden.
- Belsnickel Beer Stroll
- Merchants are giving away door prizes, setting up selfie stations and making shopping fun all day
- Saturday, 12/1—Wassailing Downtown—
- Reindeer Run 5K through the merry streets of downtown, hosted by the Junior League of Abilene. Proceeds benefit the League's community service programs. For details visit jrleagueabilene.com
- NCCIL Family Fun Day-- Letters to Santa and Reading of Santa Calls.
- Abilene Philharmonic: “Coming Home for Christmas” concert -- Abilene Convention Center. 3 p.m. matinee is a shortened, general admission priced, performance for kids to enjoy their favorite Christmas classics. 7:30 p.m. the full concert performance with soloists Bruce Ewing and Kristi Tingle for a night of Christmas favorites and carols.
- Historic Downtown